February 15, 2009

Welcome to my little corner of the world!

Here are the chronicles of my tinkering. What is a tinkerer? According to Merriam-Webster:

..to work in the manner of a tinker ; especially : to repair, adjust, or work with something in an unskilled or experimental manner


While in my professional career I'm paid to do the opposite of tinker, at home it's all I do. College may have prepared me for life as a design engineer, but no one teaches you how to repair home electronics or build gadgets. It seems in fact, that in this age of mass produced junk electronics, that the art of tinkering is being lost, or more appropriately, being driven into extinction.

I grew up with my family the proprietors of a repair shop, doing metal fabrication, vehicle repair, small engine repair and whatever else could be done to make a few bucks. Time and cheap Chinese imports passed the business by years ago, but it left an indelible mark on how I approach life.

I hope that by sharing some of my exploits I can help someone save a buck or two, and find satisfaction in doing it themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment